Build a Tic Tac Toe Peg Game!!
Build a Tic Tac Toe Peg Game! You can do it! First, clean your room (getting on Mom and Dad's good side before asking for something never hurts!) then take this list to Mom or Dad and ask them to help you gather these items together (hint...if you don't have these items already and you need to ask them to take you to a hardware store and buy them you might want to not only clean your room but take out the garbage and a few other chores too).
Materials and Supplies
- safety goggles
- a permanent laundry marker (or a Sharpie marker)
- a straight edge ruler
- 4 x 4 board of 1/2 or 3/8 inch thick pine
- hand drill
- one drill bit
- one counter sink bit
- one sheet of 150 grit sandpaper
- 5 golf tees of one color
- 5 golf tees of another color
- small hammer
- one finishing nail
Once you have everything together and are ready and Mom or Dad have time to help you get started this is what you do, draw a template to look like a tic tac toe game, two lines down, two lines across them, you know how it looks, if you want to label the top Tic Tac Toe you can draw that on the template too or you can put your name on top or anything you want, don't forget to draw your dots in the center of each of the nine squares. Done? Ready to move on?
Okay, remember to mind your manners and no matter what happens DON'T lose your patience, Mom and Dad will be much more willing to help with the next project if you are a pleasant woodworker!
Here we go:
Constructing your Tic Tac Toe Game
- Tape the template to the 4 x 4 piece of wood
- Use the hammer ...
- WAIT WAIT WAIT...do you have your safety goggles on? When you do continue...
- Use the hammer and the finishing nail to mark each hole location, just a "dimple" type mark is fine
- Remove the template
- Drill the nine holes (about 1/8 inch diameter) using the "dimple" marks-make sure you are drilling the holes straight - and drill only HALF way through the wood
- Use the counter sink bit to bevel the top of the each hole
- Sand all the surfaces including the corners of the square
- Use the marker and a straight edge ruler to draw the lines and then write Tic Tac Toe or your name or whatever you decided to put on top
How's it look? It's probably fantastic! If it isn't exactly how you hoped you can always make more, remember perfection usually comes with practice. How about making one for your sister? brother? friend? Grandma and Grandpa?